View Single Post
      06-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #41
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Many folks aren't here as enthusiasts at all but are just here because they had a problem and are doing google searches for BMW Sunroof etc. They are here because they are having some issues.

So, the folks posting posting here are hardly a worthwhile or representitive sample of the 3 series population. You figure the 3 series is a mass produced machine with tens of thousands of 2006-2007 Coupes, and Sedans out there.
I am going to assume you are correct that this forum is a giant fly trap that attracts a lot of attentions, and I am going to tell you I read a lot of car forums, although this experience can not be taken as statistically unbiased figure, but I have yet to run across similar situation on another car. This can't be an accident as his SA claimed, because the possibility of a rock hitting the top of the roof while driving and breaking the sunroof is pretty small. Unless, it was a meteorite and the chance of 4 brand new bmw getting hit on the sunroof within a year period by meteorites is close to zero. It must be some manufacturing defect from the glass' sub-contractor. Just because the forum is a great place for people to discuss their problem it doesn't mean the problem has to bigger than it actually is. To compare apple to apple and orange to orange we need to check other forums for new cars that have similar sunroof explosion and normalize that by quantity of the car produced.

The guy is obviously venting because he was treated poorly by his dealer. I would be as well if my new car has a big gapping hole on the roof, which would ruin my interior if it rains. I consider myself an enthusiast but I won't be happy if I am to blame for something that's not my fault. I will have to be a fanatic to admit that. Consider yourself lucky that you don't have any problems, but if you ever do, would you want to be labeled as a whiner?
Appreciate 0