View Single Post
      09-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #90
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

The thing with the ms-8 is that its quite tricky to get it configured properly, especially if you have a partially amped system. This is because the ms-8 level matches all speakers during calibration. So the key is to make sure all speakers are at the same "volume" during the calibration sweeps. You can adjust amp gains and use an SPL meter for this. Even better get similar efficiency rated speakers, this is one of the reasons i got all Morels for the front. But dont worry, once you start troubleshooting, you will get loads of help from people who've been through the same thing!

I've never heard the L7 components before so cant really give a fair comment. But I suspect the Morels would beat them hands down in SQ. This is because a fair number of people change from OEM/L7/Focals to Morels, and can hear the difference even with an ms-8. To me they sound amazing.

If you're going to use Logic7 processing on the ms-8 (which most people do as its so good) then your centre speaker is quite important. I used to have a cheap (but still decent) Vibe Slick 4 for my centre. Sounded decent but then i got a Morel Coax and SQ was so much better. For SQ, its better to go with Morels.

Having said that some people with the OEM Logic 7 system are happy with their speakers with an ms-8. Its a personal preference and up to you, but you might waste a bit of money if you decide you want the Morels after! There is also a UK member called MrSingh, who showed me some speakers he is able to get. He had a thread with his review in the audio section. Its a new complete plug and play package (mids and underseats, but no centre IIRC) but i havent heard them. Might be worth asking him as they might be cheaper than the Morels. By the way dont worry about the rear speakers for now. First decide on your front ones. This is because the fronts will be amped, rears wont, so you'll need more efficient rears to match fronts. This can be worked out once you decide on amp/speakers.

Regarding the amp, please read through my comments in your other thread, in the audio section. But now you have actually got the ms-8 you will need 2 amps, if you're still going to upgrade the speakers of course. 5 channels for inside the car (mids woofers and centre, leave rears off ms-8) and then your sub amp. An amp which loads of people have used on this forum, with Morels and Jehnerts, is the JL XD600/6. Its compact, so it can be hidden away, and will give you 6 nice channels of clean power. There is not one complaint of an XD user on here.
Appreciate 0