View Single Post
      03-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #153
LKNGOOD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i w/6sp manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel View Post
That's exactly why I like to work on my car myself if possible. Your mechanic installed the shift lever incorrectly, mine is completely centered in the middle for neutral. You need to go back and tell him to turn around 180 the shift lever. This one is easy and if you want you can do it on your own. Good luck!

Ok - I just took off the boot and mine is also completely centered in the middle for neutral - vertically (Up and Down). That never was an issue.

My question is that now neutral sits dead in the middle -vertically (Up and Down) but horizontally it's about an inch or so to the right.

I know the new lever does not have that bent on it compared to the stock lever which is what makes it sit center horizontally (left to right).

This is how it look stock in neutral (X is the lever position in neutral)

Dead center both vertically and horizontally:

PLEASE IGNORE THE DOTS (.....) I had to put those in there to make everything center??

.....l
.....l
----X----
.....l
.....l

1st - 6th gear with stock lever:

.....l
----X----
.....l

** This is how it now looks with the BMW SSK installed (X is the lever position in neutral)

Dead center vertically but to the right horizontally:

......l
......l
-------X-------
......l
......l

So in first gear it looks like this:

......l
.....1st
......l
-------X-------
......l
......l

So in 2nd gear it looks like this:

......l
......l
......l
-------X-------
......l
.....2nd
......l

So in 3rd gear it looks like this:

......l..3rd
......l
-------X-------
......l
......l

So in 4th gear it looks like this:

......l
......l
-------X-------
......l
......l..4th

So in 5th gear it looks like this:

......l.......5th
......l
-------X-------
......l
......l

So in 6th gear it looks like this:

......l
......l
-------X-------
......l
......l.......6th

Hope the drawing helps (Remember - just ignore the ... I had to put those in there to make everything align correctly) - From the replys that I got on this forum and other forums - I'm fine - it's suppose to be that way because we no longer have the bend on the new shifting lever.

* Castel - you said your lever is completely center when in neutral. That's vertically (Up and Down) - but how is it horizontally? Is it still the same as stock or is it about 1-2" to the right?

Thanks everyone for their help - please keep the reply coming - this will not only benefit me but anyone else that wants to do this mod.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by LKNGOOD; 03-21-2010 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0