09-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
abcde
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Pilot View Post
I do my own oil changes at a friend's shop in between the dealer's annual low mileage oil change. Everytime I do an oil change the due date for the next oil service automatically moves ahead one year, can't remember if the mileage resets on its own but I'm certain about the date.

This has actually thrown off my dealership when I bring the car in for its annual oil service because the car is showing a date one year away. For example, my car normally has an annual cycle that falls on September. It should show September 2012 and it did show September 2012 after the dealership completed an oil change in September of 2011. When I completed one myself mid-year the date moved forward to September of 2013.

Somehow the CBS knows that an oil change has been done and automatically moves the date forward.

Has anyone else come across this and is there a way to prevent the date from moving forward automatically when doing your own oil changes in between the dealer oil change?
This just happened to me where my car's date suddenly moved forward a year to 7/2013, but I haven't even gotten an oil change or touched anything yet. I was getting the notice starting in 7/2012 but have delayed it since I've put very few miles on my car (although it's been a year since I got it in 7/2011). I've scheduled an appointment for next week though so I'll update here when I know more.

Update: Took it in for annual oil change and they didn't reset any of the CBS information. It said 7/2013 when I took it in. They changed the oil and filter. It still says 7/2013 when I drove off after the oil change. I doubt I'll ever hit the CBS miles interval since I drive my car infrequently. I'm guessing after a certain time (maybe 2-3 months past the time interval it will just move to the following year?

Last edited by abcde; 10-01-2012 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0