02-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
Just got a set of Blizzak LM-25s 225/45/17 RFs and I put them on a used set of 159s that I put together from a couple other members around here. Recent snowfall proves them more than adequate pretty rough but not too bad, they are winters after all. No issues getting up medium grade hills with a couple inches of unpacked snow.

Trouble is, on wet or even dry (but slightly sandy/salty) roads I can't keep them from spinning even with around half throttle (traction control takes over quite often). Not sure if it is the tires or the torque as I only had the stock conti pros on for a few days when I bought the car and there was no snow (and thus no salt/sand).
Bummer. To be honest, I never expect too much traction in slush as This is just about the hardest possible test to put tires through. My experience with the Blizzaks seems to be different from yours, though, I drive with DSC/TC off at any opportunity and on when in traffic or otherwise in need of added safety, and I have found my set of LM-25s to be quite easy to control in nearly all conditions. They tend to be a bit noisy when outside of their design conditions (we get stupid random 60 degree days in the middle of a sub-35deg week), but this is to be expected. In the dry/cold, I can launch with a brake boost to about 1800rpm with nominal wheel spin while modulating the throttle. If I just jam it from a stop, I would imagine that the wheels would spin, but I don't often do that (or launch for that matter).

My overall review of the LMs would be that they make the car a tank in the snow, predictable on ice, comfortable at speed, and not sloppy on the corners. They definitely have a focus on the snow as far as tread design, but sidewall rigidity and compound seem to be much more geared toward speed (hence performance snow RFTs). There is no comparison to my summer performance tires, but I also don't expect there to be.

Maybe our alignments are different or our vehicles vary in another way?

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0