05-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #174
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
OK. Here goes with the facts for you AT drivers: Thunderhill, 2 full days: ran 2:09s on fastest laps, 2:10s with passenger. I only note this so you can tell how hard I was driving. This is vital as not everyone drives the same way and stresses their car the same way. For instance: some people have the AR cooler and it works for them. Some have 1 Stett and it works. I'm confident neither of these setups would work for me. I had the AR so I have first hand experience and the dual ER system I currently have is just barely enough.

Bad News (not too bad): One limp mode due to a quirk if you do a high rev down shit when the car is hot and your not on the gas. Back pressuer seems to cause. It's happened 4 or 5 times. No biggy I just make sure to not down shift like that.

Good News (Really Good): I finally have the car that was promised by BMW. I run stock power with ER competition oil coolers and 100% water with Mocool; other mods in SIG. It's transformed my car. It still gets hot but not so much I have good power throughout a 30 minute sessions at 100%. It would normally map back under high heat and lose quite a bit of power above 270. No short shifting. No limp modes - besides the one above.

The Data:
Morning sessions - 58 - 68 ambient - never saw over 265 oil temps and 98c coolant temps. I know, close to boiling temps but far better than the 117 mentioned above.

Afternoon sessions - 72 - 80 ambient - saw some 275 oil temps towards the end of the sessions and 102c coolant.

I was able to drive at 100% for the entirety of all sessions and power mapped back only minimally - butt dyno only ;-)

Really pleased. I originally had the ER setup with normal coolant. I still would lose some power and got one limp mode due to coolant temps on a previous track day. The distilled water and Mocool really made a nice difference.

Very nice, congrats. So now we have 2 track-based water temps data points, let's keep them coming! I'll try to organize them in a small/readable format so we can all benefit.
Appreciate 0