11-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHaskill View Post
New here. Found this thread and I am having the same exact issue.

2009 328ix

Random whistling, I would say it sounds more like a brake squeal, that stops when I rev the engine. It will immediately start again once I stop pushing the engine a bit. Just started having rough idle randomly too. Getting a CEL once in a while but that clears itself. I haven't pulled codes. Car runs great even when whistling. Going through town the other day it started. While at a stop light I put it in park, shut it down and restarted, it didn't happen again until the following day.

I was first thinking this was associated with a bad pulley, belt slipping issue until I started having idle issues. So only options now are power steering pump or PCV valve? Wish I could nail this down without taking it into service. I will if needed though.

Thought I would throw my issue into the mix.

Thanks.
Per my posts, I had a ODB code and a CEL suggesting a bad vanos sensor on the intake side as a possible cause. I cleaned the sensors and swapped them (there are two).

After changing them, I later had a second code (proprietary, not OBD generic) that, among other things, could indicate a bad vanos sensor on the exhaust side.

Given this happened after switching sensors, I'm cautiously optimistic that the cause of the whistle is the sensor. I cleaned both again, this time more thoroughly, using MAF cleaner and forced air and put them back in. I also changed the oil ahead of schedule.

So far, after more than a month and a half, no whistle and no additional codes.

This fix might / might not work for you (or for me, but so far so good). Good luck to both of us.
Appreciate 0