View Single Post
      07-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #2596
chris7520
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i sport

This is a very long thread and full of good info and I'd like to add something and since i don't have the time to read all 119 pages

I hope Im not repeating something that has been said many times. my apologies I am.

I've seen oil level mentioned out of speck lifters and even octane. So here are my observations, The e9x engines are very oil dependent in running various systems beside bearing lubrication. any bit of sludge, low oil level or small solids will play havoc with the Lifters, Vanos system parts and of course bearings and the oil pump its self. the other thing is these motors like is to be run hard from time to time. the oil pumps are variable to the load you are placing on the motor, so unless you are pushing the motor the oil volume and pressures can be quite low, and of course some lifters are just bad from the factory, but not changing the oil enough for your given driving conditions is the biggest culprit of the clicking lifter issues mentioned in this thread or Vanos system codes, most can be traced back to not taking care of the oil in your car over long periods of time. constantly having low oil, (thats needing at least a 1 quart or more less oil equals hotter oil) oil that has reached its service limit and is dirty or has broken down because you should be changing it more often because of driving conditions the car does not alway catch this. like short trips will allow condensation to build up putting water in your oil always a bad thing even small amounts.

I have never bought into BMWs 15K interval for oil, 7500 is more realistic given most owners driving styles and if you only do stop and go driving for short distances 75% of the time change that to 5K. only the guy or gal putting consistent long easy 70+mph highway miles on their car can even consider the 15K service suggestion. I do that and still do 7K for changes. as an example I have 206K on my n52 still sounds like a swish watch. and sounds even better after I've pushed hard on a winding road. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50