View Single Post
      02-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #509
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by smckenna@talstar.com View Post
I just spotted a close-up photo of the M-DCT shifter for this new 2011 335is, and I noticed that it has a simple "Sport" button below the shifter. For the M3 DCT, there is a rocker button here with 5 different personality settings for the DCT (grandma mode with low RPM shift points all the way up to practically redlining before each shift). It doesn't look like this same functionality will be available for the 335is. Can anyone confirm this? I sure hope they didn't put this function inside some i-Drive menu!
The 335is won't get all the DCT settings the M3 has (called Drivelogic, BTW).

Trust me when I tell you this is actually a blessing in disguise. The added modes are nice in theory but add needless complexity to the interface and probably add even more needless complexity to the software. I almost never use anything other than S5 or S6 (the latter is the "hidden mode" activated when DSC is off which allows you to use launch control - so I am sure the 335i will have an equivalent). Besides that, I would only really ever use S1, and even then only if I were driving with a car full of senior citizens or a sleeping baby. S2 through S4 are really just fluff, and make the whole thing feel gimmicky. The same applies to the D (automatic) mode also (which, BTW, I never use). You really only need two and that's it.
Appreciate 0