View Single Post
      01-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

Coolant warning and limp mode

Very weird and I was thinking this was looking like a failed elec water pump but why would it do this then clear and drive faultlessly???

Happened coming home tonight. 10mins into my drive home I gave it less than half throttle and it was flat as a pancake. Wouldn't boost. Seemed ok with light throttle but more like limp mode. 5 miles later I get a coolant temp warning folowed by the overheating warning and as I stopped I could hear the cooling fans blaring.

Openned the hood and thought it was odd as there wasn't the usual blast of heat you get let alone more heat resembling overheating. The coolant pipe into the top radiator was as hot as normal but the top of the engine wasn't hot at all! A I shut the hood there was a puff of steam so I openned up but couldn't see any leaks. Coolant level was where it should be.

Restarted the car and it ran faultless all the way home. I'm not convinced it was overheated as I've openned the hood to top up with washer fluid before and you can normally feel a lot of heat from the engine......tonight I had my hands on top of the rocker cover and it was fairly cool and def not hot. Little heat coming up from the turbo's but certainly not hot as I had been gently cruising at 2k rpm max.

So why the limp mode, coolant warning but no apparent leak or excessive heat from engine? Possible thermostat sticking but that would surely make the engine very hot to touch.

If the pump had failed then when did it then run for 30 more miles trouble free and at full power?

No engine warning light so its not HPFP issue.

Overheating suggest water not flowing but surely these pumps just die and thats the end of it or is it just warning me the next time it will! WHy would I get limp type symptoms and no warning lights til 10 mins later.

WOuld a faulty temp sender send flickering signals to the ecu hence the limp and then it spikes and tells me its overheating when it maybe isn't.

WIll try to get it checked for faults soon as but wonder if anyone has had this
Appreciate 0