View Single Post
      06-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #129
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Evidently, the knowledge is out there about how to change the vehicle order and reprogram it. This info is then put on a disk, which is then uploaded to the car. I'm thinking it might be better to have BMW do it, then (as I was told), every update you get is not a problem because they "know" what equipment your vehicle has, as it is changed in their database. I just talked to another acquaintance who agreed a custom vehicle order file is what its gonna take. The people that "know" say this makes sense and a customer VO is necessary.

To be honest, I don't know where that VIN data comes from, but I gotta believe it comes over the bus when they plug into it...its likely coded into one or more modules on the car. On my printout, under vehicle identification, it says, "Automatic." I was thinking of tricking the computer too, but truly believe that might be a bad idea with all of the equipment needing to be identical (?)

What happened to the old days of vehicle mods? (and I'm not that old!) I never had to get my car programmed/coded/re-ordered to do anything cool in the past! Is this the future...gotta run everything by "The Man" before it will work? Yikes.
Appreciate 0