makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Thanks!

I can't wait to see how you managed to squeeze that sub in there. It had/has to be a nightmare with the way this particular sub is mounted. Do you think the parcel shelf is going to be rigid enough?
There you go.
Fitted and working now.

It was nightmare to fit it and being one person on the task is not easy.
Now 20.4 Kg is sitting at the rear deck with MDF board. Considering the dimensions of this sub, you cannot mount it from the top and I had to insert it from the bottom.

Rear parcel shelf is good enough to bear that weight in normal circumtances. I cannot speak about crash testing as I do not have that facility
However MDF reinforces the rear parcel shelf.

I have increased the subsonic filter to 30Hz as I do not want to cook this sub at lower frequencies. I have kept the gain low as well.

Now how does it sound?

Bass is clean, deep and excellent. It gets very loud and sitting at the rear is out of question when playing loud.

Comparing it to 2X12 inch subs in a box.....2X12 subs firing approx 1000W were earth shaking. At lower frequencies, vibrations were so vigorous that it was shaking all four pillars and front dashboard trim. Drawback of this installation was that sound was more confound to rear boot and bit muddled.

With this sub in the rear deck, there is some rattling coming from the central interior light panel and rear number plate (using metallic pressed plates, which needs to go now). This setup does not shake the car so vigorously (may be due to higher sub sonic filter settings or may be because I have kept the gains low), but bass is clear!

Overall pleased with the setup due to clear sound and more space in the trunk.

Last edited by makkan00; 12-11-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0