06-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #281
F1Flagger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arggg45 View Post
1) Anyone can make just about any problem go away with a large enough check...kid's failing college? Write the university a check for a million or two or ten and see his problems go away. Auto Company is going under? Let the government give you a few billion dollars and see their problems go away.

2) That argument isn't really valid because at this point in the season HRT will find it damn near impossible to find a sponsor willing to have their name on a car that is consistently in it's own way, much less everyone elses way.I will be surprised if they are on the track 2 seasons from now unless they really find some speed, ceteris paribus. I think they are an embarrassment to the sport and themselves regardless of their effort; they are underfunded, understaffed, and non-competitive in their current state.

3) Each team has a right to be on the grid up until the point where they become a rolling chicane and are dangerously off the pace. At the speed at which F1 cars travel, being off the pace by 7% is huge. Thats roughly 5 seconds on a 60 second course, MORE on a longer course. In races and qualifying sessions where it comes down to a few thousands of a second, being off the pace by several seconds is unacceptable

4) As far as I can tell this year, their strategy has been to try to stay out of the way, which I will grant you, they have done a decent job of. That said, they obviously are way off the pace and aren't racing in the same sense that the other teams are. I give them credit for having a go of it, but they have proven that they aren't competitive and won't be competitive.

As far as staying out of the way of faster cars, it's something that every racing driver has had to experience at some point in their careers, I'm sure it's not entirely unfamiliar to any of them. I would even argue that they don't look in their mirrors enough. Look what happened in Canada with Karthekeyen? not giving way to a faster car when he knew he would be there and was quite faster, then moving across the track to block his pass, when Karthekeyen? was lapped.

All good points.
I still feel they have the right to be there. along with the other new Teams.
Will they be on the grid in 2-3yrs. Probably under another name. That is usually how it works.

But it won't improve until the global economy improves.
Correct money will not solve it all. But it provides the budget to hire talent, and continue to improve the product. If you are always trying to make it till the next check.... you can never develop a better product.
Appreciate 0