View Single Post
      02-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #116
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've done the bleeding procedure at least 5 times, so I know it pretty well. Do you have the vent screw closed? The pump does pause several times during the process, maybe you are thinking it stops and then does not restart. You have to wait at least 3 minutes if you restart the procedure to allow the DME to reset. The version of the TIS I have does not mention turning on the low beams, but I've never seen a 3-series turn on the headlamps until the engine is actually running.

All the procedure is doing is making sure the cylinderhead has coolant in it. If the pump runs for several minutes, I'd bet the head has coolant in it and it is safe to drive. The system will naturally bleed itself once the engine is running.
Thanks Efthreeoh. I did have the bleed screw and the coolant cap closed. After the bleeding I saw lots of foam at the coolant cap, so I closed it back and waited until the next day, and the foam seems to have disappeared, so I think they are just the remaining air bubbles. The coolant level is way over max though so I used a new, clean turkey baster to remove the coolant until it drops to max.

Then I drove around for a while and the level seems steady

A youtube video I saw did the venting with the cap open, and the coolant seems to be quite hot during the process. But mine was completely cold.
Appreciate 0