View Single Post
      10-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #492
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
There's one technique that I've seen repeatedly used in various cooking shows (like Top Chef or Hell's kitchen) that I want to try -

I'll see a chef start by searing a steak in copious amounts of butter (and possibly herbs, spices). The steak is literally sitting in a pool of butter.

Next, what I'll see them do is they'll use a spoon and continuously spoon that hot butter onto the steak while it's searing.

Repeat the same process for the other side of the steak.

Then, they'll take the entire pan and "finish" the steak in the oven (I don't know what temperature).

From what I understand, this is a common technique used in many fine dining restaurants and it leads to perfectly cooked, succulent steaks.

My only issue with grilling is that all too often the steak ends up somewhat dry. I think this technique of constantly spooning butter onto the steak might help keep it moist (in addition adding flavor because, let's be honest, butter and fat make anything taste better).

This is also perhaps one reason why I tend not to be as impressed with chain steakhouses as I am with non-chain steakhouses, because chain steakhouses tend to exclusively grill for the purposes of cooking their steaks whereas non-chain restaurants often employ the technique I described above.

I think one reason for this may be the fact that chain steakhouses often see high volume, and for a high volume restaurant you need to have a couple of guys grilling many steaks simultaneously to keep up with demand. They may not have the luxury to use the aforementioned technique.

Non-chain fine dining restaurants that offer steaks tend to be lower volume, and maybe that allows them to use this "special" searing method.

I've also seen some non-chain fine dining steakhouses cook steaks sous vide. Sous vide steaks are an acquired taste, IMO, but I really enjoy them. Sous vide filets have the consistency of butter. They're essentially vacuum packed and cooked slowly in their own juices in a temperature-controlled water bath.

Because I enjoy sous vide steaks, and because machines for cooking steaks sous vide tend to be rather expensive (and therefore not really feasible to have in the house) I think it can be worth paying the "restaurant premium" for a well cookied, sous vide steak.

I also don't mind paying that kind of premium for a steak if it's cooked with the method I described above. But, if a restaurant is simply grilling a steak I'm inclined to agree with you. You can make a comparable product for a fraction of the price by grilling at home.
I very rarely order a steak in a restaurant, I can do better at home.

Method depends on the meat. If it's fillet you prefer then the butter hot tub is a good way to go. Fillet is very lean and is not a fan of the grill.

I like a good ribeye on the grill. Here is what you do. Let the meat rest and get up to room temp. Rub it with oil. Salt and pepper, pretty heavy lots will fall off. Hot grill, rare to medium rare. Dice some onions and lightly brown them in butter. Once the onions are done add a bit more butter and garlic, remove from the heat, garlic will go bitter in you.

To serve, heat your plates, put down some of your buttery goodness, slice the meat thin, put some of your onions on top and get ready to live.
Appreciate 0