View Single Post
      01-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #1495
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanth119 View Post
Hi Greg - earlier this year you helped me with a PC purchase and gave me some advice to get me off the ground and into the detailing enthusiast world, thank you, my E46 has been shining since!

Hoping I can pick your brain again. I ordered a Deep Sea Blue Metallic E91, and want to start off caring for the new ride on the right foot. I will have the dealer do their standard prep process (I know there's mixed reviews on this idea, but I live in cold climate and can't devote proper time to the car until the nice weather comes).

I'm fine with taking care of the interior, wheels, glass and exterior trim, questions revolve around the paint

First question

Is there anything I can do to maximize the dealer prep protection to last until the nice weather comes? Probably 8-10 weeks before I can do a full detail, and the car will be kept outside. Clay and polish really aren't an option (I really wish I had a huge garage!)

Second Question

What should I do for the first detail when weather allows? I'm assuming high level:

Wash
Clay (get rid of the dealer treatments and any interim contamination)
Polish (assuming a mild one with a low aggression pad)
Seal & Finish

I've been using the following process with my silver E46, and really do like the Zaino products/look

Polish - Menzerna Intensive Polish & ZPC
Seal/Gloss - Z2 Pro & Z6 layered 3 times
Finish - Z8

However would like to experiment with other products on the E91. which brings up the:

Third Question

What products would you recommend for:

Polish - What polish(es) and pad(s) would you recommend? (I currently have LC White, Orange, Yellow Pads for the PC 7424XP)

Seal - I've been applying Z2 Pro by hand, and like the easy application. I'm fine with applying other products with similar ease by hand, but would like to remove with the PC. Any seal and pad ideas? Also, could I use the same to remove Z2 Pro on the E46?

Wax - I haven't been using wax on the E46, how much visual reward vs longevity vs time invested would a coat of wax give me (the car will always be outside)? The E46 will continue to be my favorite child, but I still want the E91 to look decent, though don't want to slave over it to the same degree.

Gloss/Finish - what looks good with a darker blue?

Thanks for the input, really appreciate your help!
Glad to help and I'm happy to help again!

1.) I would personally rather the dealership did nothing than their prep. Generally dealerships use products that look great and protect for days maybe a few weeks best case, so it's not worth it for the harm they are almost guaranteed to do. I know it's cold but maybe just do an ONR wash (Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR)), clay and protect with the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. This process would be so much safer and more complete. If you have to skip the clay you should still be relatively fine since it's new. If you don't have access to a garage maybe you could borrow a friends for a few hours. If you still let them do their process I would still recommend the Opti-Seal but for maximum durability you'll want to strip off whatever they put on first.

2. and 3.) Wash with the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash to remove any old protection. When washing I would also recommend using the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover to help deep clean the surface.

Next use the clay bar as you suggested and polish. Upgrading your polishes would be a huge help here. The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 is one of my favorite combos. Since the car is new you may be able to just use the M205 but if you want results closer to perfection the M105 will be a big help. I'd apply the M105 with an orange pad and the M205 with a white pad.

Afterward apply the Zaino sealants with a blue pad to protect and enhance the shine. Is it worth layering a wax on afterward it's really a personal opinion. Some sealants look fantastic on their own but some owners want the deepest gloss possible and more protection so a wax is helpful to them. If interested the Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Hard Wax is an amazing wax but if you need to save some money the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax is an outstanding value.

I hand remove all of these products with a CLEAN microfiber towel like the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel or the DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel.

If I missed any of your questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0