Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr p-j View Post
the xdrive have a engagement system that adds pressure to a multi disk wet clutch to move power to the front wheels. looks like the clutch on a motorbike.
when pulling the fuse what you do is to prevent the electric motor from adding any pressure to the wet clutch.

when just crousing down the highway whit all four wheels spinning in the same speed this i exaktly the state that the xdrive is in. no torque to the front and no pressure to the wet clutch. same whit or whitout the fuse in.

when spinning the back wheels and have the front standing still whit the fuse pulled what happens in the xdrive transfear case is that the wet clutch slips since the disks are fixed to the rear wheels and the hub is fixed to the front. (or other way around)
so does this hurt your xdrive? i think not! sure the clutch slips. but remember you do not have any pressure on the clutch disks. whit no pressure ther is no wear. right?

look at how the clutch on your car works. your clutch does not wear when you are standing still whit engine running, in gear and clutch disengage right?! not as long as you donīt add any pressure to the clutch disk making it transfear torque.
the clutch only wears when it slips and trys to equal the speed of the engine and the gearbox/wheels. when 100% engage or 100% dissengage the clutch just spins along.

im not going to put my as on the line telling everybody that this is safe to do.
but if i think about how the system works i would not be worried to do this myself.

and remember. bmw hate on everybody that trys to modify ther cars...

peace.
lol thanks? For rephrasing the link I provided....
Appreciate 0