European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTempoLimitN54 View Post
Thread revival time!

Stay with me... this is kind of epic.

I've been researching this manual transmission and differential lubricants thing ad nauseum.

I have a '09 335i 6MT. My tranny is labeled for MTF-LT-3 (Castrol BOT 207) and the OEM diff oil is widely known to be Castrol SAF-XO.

Searching for info or specifications on MTF-LT-3 or Castrol BOT 207 yielded nearly nothing. I did find one guy on BITOG who did a VOA on LT-3. The viscosity tested at 6.1 cSt @ 100ºC.

I did find some interesting things though in the one Castrol PDF that mentioned BOT 207:

Then the go on to talk blah blah about saving 3 grams of CO2 per kilometer. That'll really save the world. Obviously the change to LT-3 is motivated by efficiency.

LOL! Caught 'em red-handed! Fill-for-life my arse! Who's life are we talking about here? If you want to keep your car longer than 124k ~ 155k miles, you'd better change that transmission oil.

Also, for the 1 Series M Coupe, the official BMW maintenance schedule is to change the transmission oil every 30k (50k km). The 1M uses a ZF GS6 transmission similar to the one in my 335i (but not the same box).

So, I'm really frustrated that the only way to get MTF-LT-3 is to buy 5 liters. My car is still under factory warranty (49k) and will be CPO thereafter. So I've wanted to use the factory fill lubricant. No OEM alternatives available.

As for the Diff, SAF-XO seems to be discontinued. The new Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 is unobtanium in the U.S. The BMW branded fluid is available if you want to buy a 55 gallon drum for about $2k.

The only alternative is to buy Land Rover LRN 7591 which is Castrol SAF-XO for about $20 a quart. I think I'm just going to do Red Line for the diff. Their 75W-90 NS has almost exactly the same viscosity as the SAF-XO

SAF-XO
KV @ 40ºC: 100
KV @ 100ºC: 15.2

Red Line 75W-90NS
KV @ 40ºC: 95
KV @ 100ºC: 15.6

Red Line 75W-90
KV @ 40ºC: 112
KV @ 100ºC: 16.1

Any reason to go for the more common 75W-90 that's intended for limited slip diffs (which I don't have, obviously) instead of the 75W-90 NS "No Slip"?
I believe the diff oil BMW specs is: Castrol SAF-XJ. It says so right on the label you can use it in ALL bmw models, even M models.

The 1M and M3(in the USA only) use Castrol SAF-XJ +FM (plus friction modifier). BMW NA want to use the "+FM" bc it quiets down(eliminates) the diff in slow speed turns, and hence no buy backs(lemons) for diff chatter noises. German dealer do not use the "+FM" oil.

The 1M uses the exact same manual trans as a 2011(and up!) N55 powered 135i. I suspect its the same trans used in the 335i too - but I have not checked. I know when the 1M came out BMW claimed it was somewhat different - but its not.

You can check on RealOEM.com for the part numbers.

Castrol SAF-XJ and a 5L jug of LT4...

Btw... LT3 was replaced by LT5. The 1M uses LT5. I also heard that for the 1M LT5 has been replaced now by LT6. That would not surprise me at al - since bmw likes to superceed these oils over time.

For my manual trans 135i - I used Redline ATF-D4. I been using D4 for about 35K miles now. I've also used AFT-D4 in my old e36 manual for 100K miles with no issues either. The advantage of ATF-D4 is it shifts MUCH smoother than BMW oils do. You can also use Redline's ATF-D6 as well. D6 is a slightly thinner oil.

Here is what my old trans oil looked like...

(left)old LT4 trans oil... only used for 30K kms! New LT4 oil. New Redline ATF-D4( right)
Name:  IMG_5882.jpg
Views: 17397
Size:  132.2 KB

Dack
Appreciate 0