View Single Post
      08-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaltine224 View Post
just got my car back today from that mechanic. by reprogramming, he meant software update...i dont know if that makes a difference? do i have do the software update? i dont see why i would have to since its just a mechanical part.

me and my friend are planning on just cleaning them up and see if that helps. if not, then ill just replace it with a new one.
I don't have the software update. My car is a 2006. I just removed them, cleaned them, swapped the postions from intake to exhaust and vice versa and they have been fine. Make sure your friend knows what he is doing. If you remove both at the same time (like if you swap the positions) you can easily drop the little mounting bolt INTO the timing chain cover, which would really suck. Be carefull. Remove the solenoids by A) remove the mounting bolt. B) take the mounting bolt away and place it on the work bench C) twist and pull out the solenoid body from the timing chain cover.

My advice is to remove the top one first, stuff a clean shop rag in the hole, then remove the bottom one second. Clean both, take the solenoid that was in the top postion (Exhaust) and put it back in the bottom hole (intake). Tighten the bolt down. The take the other solenoid, pull the rag out, install the solenoid then bring the bolt in and tighten it down.

Install the solenoids by A) install solenoid body into lower hole in the timing chain cover. B) line up the mounting hole on the solenoid with the screw hole on the timing chain cover. C) take the mounting bolt from the work bench and screw it down.

I can not stress enough that you do not want to drop the mounting bolt into the timing chain cover. You'll most likely not be able to retrieve it with a magnetic tool, and you'll then have to remove the front of the timing cover to find it.
Appreciate 0