View Single Post
      12-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
While the point of my story isn't really another 335 vs M3 thread (there's already enough polluting the Internet), I wanted to use the comparison to give props to certainly one of the best powerplants out there - the N54. My SA says...ok can I have a ride in your 335? He wanted to see how someone could think the M3 is slow. So, let's just say my point was made. He's been a BMW SA for years and has driven everything in the BMW lineup, plus other high HP trade-ins and the SA admitted that nothing touches this. Imagine, with only $1,800 in mods. The N54 is a wonderful thing.

Otherwise I loved the M3. If it came with an N54 option, I'd get it.
weird, but I have the opposite opinion. The reason why you think your 335I is better than the M3 is because you drove the M3 on the streets, and not on the track. Big difference! Even on the M3 boards they will all admit that a stock 335I, especially a 335I diesel, is a ton better than an M3 for jetting around town, cuz of the low end torque.

On the track tough, it's a totally different story. Not only can you take advantage of the M3's powerband, but you can get a chance to see how it handles. I've been going to the track the past two years with a friend of mine (who is on the M3 boards--> Klammer). I've driven all out against him, and had the pleasure of riding in his car for a few hot laps.

There is ABSOLUTELY no comparison between his car and mine. Right now, he just kills me, and he is basically stock except for 20s. I'm not slow, cuz now I just destroy E46 M3's, and non-Z06 vettes, stangs, etc. However his car in stock form is still nearly a full lap faster than mine. While I drove in his car, he has no torque, that can compare to my car, not anywhere in his powerband, however, he pulls and pulls, and pulls forever.

Our car would better compete, except for the fact that it makes for a very poor track car due to the over heating problem. And I have 2 oil coolers installed, yet, I can't push my car at the track, even on a 45 degree day, I still hit 285 degree oil temps, and have to back off. To add insult to injury, it always throws some kind of stupid code, at the track, and kills my power. e.g: Vanos intake, or exhaust solenoid, HPFP, etc

Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 12-10-2011 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0