11-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #30
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
From every tire shop I have ever taken a TPMS-equipped car to. If YOU want to risk a $50-100 sensor to save the $5-10 that the kit costs, be my guest. Plus on most wheels if you get a flat due to a valve stem leak you run a very good risk of trashing the sensor as well, so might as well play it safe and replace those seals. How often do you take a tire off? Every 3-4 years at a minimum? Cheap insurance.
Sir,
You have been misinformed. If they knew that they were doing, they would never trash a sensor. It's possible, but only if you don't follow the safety precaution or they do not know where the sensor is.

The only thing the tire guy has to know is to not break the bead directly in the path of the valve stem (for bmw and lexus).

BTW, I'm not a professional, but I have dismounted four lexus wheels and did not damage the TPMS. I also replace the runflats on my 335i yesterday and didn't damage the tpms sensor. I didn't break the sensor because I knew where they are under the tire.

Also a flat will not necessarily damage a sensor. If you hit a pot hole or rock and the force of impact is right under the sensor there is a slight chance you may damage it. It's tucked well under the lip along side the rim surface. But 99% of the cases, a flat will not damage the tpms.

BTW, I do agree on one thing: if you are leaking at the valve stem then replace seal with the seal kit. But why would a valve steam leak trash your sensor?
Gary

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 11-04-2013 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0