02-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #82
stephano5
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black E93 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Not being a smart ass at all. Doesn't manufacturer recommend premium? The car will run on 91/E10 however it will not be at optimum performance or using the full potential of the engine. The ECUs are smart and recognise the type of fuel used so it you are using a lower grade fuel then the car is automatically putting limits on engine factors (eg timing/knock resistance). As a result performance will be reduced and excessive knocking will result in engine damage. If you can't afford 98 then at least go for 95. At the end of the day its just a few dollars difference in the total fuel bill. If you shop around for fuel or wait for the cheap days then you can easily negate the difference in price between filling up on 91 on an expensive day or 98 on a cheap day..

fwiw australia section of e90post gets heaps of trolls and a question like yours just seems to have an obvious answer for anyone that puts fuel in to a BMW. Hence I wasn't sure if you were serious or not. It really shits me that this thread has reached 4 pages already for something so trivial.
Actually the fuel cap/manual with my E93 and the stealership I asked (although I dont take them serious) specifically states anything 91 or over fuel only. Which means by definition 91 is fine, everyone here is going on about 98 98, I saw quite a few of those people have 335i or above so I figured maybe it was just for those cars. I never put E10, only 91. My local BP doesn't sell E10 thankfully
Appreciate 0