View Single Post
      02-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #142
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
No. At our house we have two sticks and one auto. My commute to work is very predictable, 24 miles of bumper to bumper traffic daily. I prefer either of the sticks to the auto.
That's great that you prefer the manual in your situation. My commute is similar, and I find no great joy in driving a manual in traffic, which is what my car spends 90% of its time doing. For a weekend car, manual all the way, but for mundane daily duties, I prefer the practicality of an automatic, especially in a car that must be driven occasionally by drivers who are unable to drive a manual.

Quote:
The people that love autos, putting something into D, and then P, and nothing else, you do win, because model by model, cars that once had a clutch do not anymore. But it doesn't mean that people who like cars with a clutch must like cars without better.
I'm not sure that anyone truly "loves" an auto, it's a choice based on practicality rather than passion. Both have their place. I find that a good paddle-shifted AT, or even better a DSG, gives me enough control that I don't miss the manual much. Keep in mind that this is purely a street-driven car, so the limitations of the ZF's programming (automatic shift at redline, downshift at full throttle when in the wrong gear) is not a big deal.

Quote:
That's like telling a photographer to shoot on auto, it's better. Maybe so, but it has nothing to do with what that photographer prefers.
Coincidentally, I am an amateur photographer, and I normally shoot in aperture-priority mode rather than manual. Why? Because in 90% of the non-flash shooting that I do, there is little to no advantage in choosing a shutter speed other than the one camera would choose. Manually selected exposure compensation helps in tricky lighting conditions.

Quote:
The lamest argument for the auto tranny in this massive thread: "I've been driving a clutch since before most of you were born."
This applies to me how? :-)
Appreciate 0