07-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcook View Post
This happens every now and again, but is usually a truck or White Van man..

This is where the requisite 'idiot' will purposely sit on the centre white line blocking both lanes of a dual carriageway some several hundred yards plus to where the lanes merge.

I had it tonight where a car tried to block the lanes of a working dual carriageway some 1/4 mile to where the lanes naturally merge. The situation we had is a start-stop road block for 1/4 mile prior to the merge point with the inside lane full and a fully open right carriageway completely empty for hundreds of yards..

Doesn't this idiot realise that whilst trying to stop some merging further up the road, he's simply created two lanes of traffic stretching back much further than it needed to, with an empty useless stretch that has no cars on it and, and this is the best bit, when he gets to the merge point, the backed up traffic will... wait for it... have to merge!!!! But now its compressed and bumper to bumper...!

You may have guessed this is something of a slight annoyance to me as no one has yet explained why idiots like this think they're doing me a favour by forcibly blocking me and hundreds of other cars. Luckily I nipped past and the prat had the audacity to beep his horn!!! I used the empty stretch and simply pulled into a gap that had naturally occurred... causing no issues whatsoever..

Next time I'm ringing the Police and reporting the driver for dangerous driving....
I think people in the UK just like to queue. So when traffic is heavy they all start to merge too early, which means the inner lane starts to queue.

Then the vigilante type idiots start to block the outer lane, to prevent those people they see as 'rude' from driving up to the merge point.

In effect, they simply move the merge point further back with this pointless manuoevre and reduce the capacity of the road.

Even 'merge in turn' signage fails to stop this, it's just a symptom of life in the UK.

Traffic should seamlessly 'zip' together at the merge point with both lanes running at the same speed.
Appreciate 0