dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
But what would you move to?

As far as the 2k warranty a water pump installed by bmw is only 1k. You just got new turbos and lines etc. So other than the pump there isn't that much that is likely to go wrong. I guess your alt, starter, or ac could shit the bed but still a water pump + one of those is not 2k.

I wouldn't invest 2k in a warranty. Warranties are sold because they generate revenue. Not to help the customer.

Is your car stock in terms of performance? Why not go FBO and have some fun with it. I personally would never of moved to the N54 if I wasn't planning on running a fun tune. You have brand new turbos, enjoy them.

Carbon cleaning is like $300 locally, or you can DIY for less.
To answer the move to question, Jag. The XK R is extremely tempting, but I think I'd wait an extra year for the 2012 models to drop another ten grand or so. Excellent interior, stunning looks, very rare, hydraulic steering and a 500hp 5.0L V8.

As for warranty stuff, I'm on the fence about that, because I've already had a lot of work done already:
  • Three HPFPs by 50,000 miles.
  • Spark plugs around 50,000 miles.
  • Laggy engine software update at 50,000 miles.
  • VANOS solenoids at 64,000 miles. ($650)
  • Water pump and thermostat at 68,500 miles. ($1,100)
  • New turbos a month ago at 69,500, outer bank turbo being replaced again on Monday.
The car is a 2006-built E92 335i wth 70,000 miles right now, and if I were to keep it, it would be for about three years to around 100,000 miles. Here's what I know is wrong with the car now:
  • Hesitating/jerky on throttle lately, feels slower. Desperately needs a carbon cleaning, which I hope is the cause of the problem. ($350 from the guy in the forums here, but an hour plus drive as well)
  • Transmission jerking from second to first in auto mode. Might just be a software issue, might be my slushbox on its way out. ($???)
  • Steering wheel shake at around 50mph on both sets of wheels, so I doubt it's balancing. Control arm maybe? ($500?)
And here's what I've been told to expect:
  • Original serpentine belt due to fail soon. ($200)
  • Older N54 motor mounts known to be problematic and cause serpentine belt shredding. ($750)
  • Original injectors likely to go any day now. ($300 for one to $1,400 for the whole bunch)
  • Valve cover and oil filter housing oil leaks. ($???)
  • Low pressure fuel sensor. ($200)
Oh, and regarding tuning - I'm planning on it once the turbos are fully resolved and once I take care of the carbon cleaning. I figure it would be better to start with a clean slate before putting a JB4 in or whatever. Unfortunately I'll probably only get two months of fun out of it before winter shows up and I switch back to stock maps. I have to do my homework and learn more about tunes. I don't plan on doing FMIC or downpipes and I don't have an oil cooler, so I'm wondering how much benefit I'll really get out a tune.