View Single Post
      09-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Before Alcon gets beat to death on here from users, I'm just going to offer this point about re-usable hats on two piece floating rotors.

The fasteners needs to be installed in a specific order and tightened to a specific torque setting with thread adhesive (if the manufacturer calls for thread adhesive), and re-inspected after 500 miles. Improper installation will lead to failure of the hat 9 times out of 10.

Not saying that's what happened here. But if I was Alcon, that would be my first guess as to what happened. The fact that they're bought 2nd hand could also mean the prior owner had mis-handled or damaged the hat on a prior installation. I'm surprised they didn't ask for the hat back, because damage due to improperly installed ring/fasteners is pretty easy to diagnose (excess stretch in the bolt).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1