View Single Post
      03-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Matte Black window trim installed!!!

One word to describe this mod....PATIENCE!!!
Instead of doing the trim in several pieces, I opted to do it in two per side...it makes it a little tricky to install such a large piece.....but with patience, it is possible!

here is a quick run down:

I bought a long sheet of the Matte blk vinyl (15 ft by 2 ft)...cut it in two.
I taped one piece against the car and did a rough etch of the pattern and then cut it out:

Name:  pre cut.jpg
Views: 10357
Size:  109.2 KB

Ensure you do not tear up the backing as you can use it as a stensil to create the other side...just ensure you flip it for the opposite side:

Name:  window trim diy stensil.jpg
Views: 10460
Size:  76.2 KB

take your pattern and tape it against the car:

Name:  placement.jpg
Views: 10511
Size:  256.5 KB

I started to apply from the curved part of the rear window and worked my way forward. It is a simple process, but take your time and you shouldn't have any problems.
the only tricky part is under the side view mirror....I had my son lift up on the mirror to make it simpler to get it under....pull on each end and move it side to side until you get it all the way under the mirror.

Hope this helps for those who are contemplating this DIY.....it sure changes the look!

Name:  matte blk trim 1.jpg
Views: 13361
Size:  219.6 KB
Name:  matte blk trim 2.jpg
Views: 19419
Size:  136.7 KB

by the way...for those who live in Vancouver....here is the place I purchased the vinyl:

Superior signs & Graphics
2225 Coquitlam ave.
port Coquitlam, BC
V3B 1J6
604 942 6636
sales@superiorsigns.net
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0