Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post
So now I have 2 questions:

1. Will registering the battery actually solve the issue of my battery light coming on shortly after shutting off my engine? I'm not sure I believe that this is solely a battery registration issue, but who knows?
2. I've had the car for about a month now with an unregistered battery; should I request that they replace it again before registering? From what I understand the life of this new battery could be severely diminished due to not registering it, even though I've only been driving the car a month.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks!
1. Maybe. I had the same low voltage icon come on after one minute with the ignition on but the motor off. And the Comfort Access would only open the doors sporadically, but there were no other symptoms of low voltage such as a zeroing of the trip odometer, and the car would always start. At first it was intermittent and was temporarily solved with an alternator replacement as an overcharging condition was detected. After the problem returned a few weeks later, a second alternator was put in, and then a new IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) unit. As I understand it, the purpose of registration is to inform the IBS - which controls the rate of charge.

All was fine for about 6 months when the low voltage warnings returned and a gound fault was traced to a bad wire under the console. Two weeks later, the JBE (Junction Box Electronics) was replaced and two weeks after that, the 5 year old battery finally failed and the car had to be towed to the dealer.

I'm hoping that with all of the new parts and new battery, the problems are finally over, as I have only a year remaining on the CPO. Luckily, everything but the battery was covered under the warranty.

2. So I'd definitely have the new battery registered, not so much for the battery life, but because of all the other issues that could stem from overcharging or undercharging. And I'd have the whole system thoroughly checked, especially the condition of the "new" battery.

But since BMW has required battery registration for a number of years, why didn't your dealer know about it?

Hope things get sorted out quickly and inexpensively.

Tom
Appreciate 0