09-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Do the OEM DVs really cause a lot of leaking warranting the need to upgrade to Forge DVs?
It isnt so much that the OEM DVs leak from the charge pipe, its moreso that they use a rubber diaphragm inside them that opens and closes to let boost pass by. This diaphragm is built to happily withstand stock boost levels, but once taken out of this range it can become unreliable and tear.

The stock DVs on the N54 motor are nearly identical to the ones used in Audi applications on the B5 S4, Pre-2005.5 A4, RS6, etc, and have been known to tear which will ruin boost response, power, and driveability pretty badly.

Also, since the springs generally arent meant to handle increased boost, they can not function as efficiently as an upgraded unit.

The Forge dvs use a metal plunger design that can absolutely never tear since there is not a diaphragm. It comes with different springs to tune it for your boost level as well as fine tuning discs to add slightly more resistance if needed. The new Forge DV revision will not leak and it will definitely provide much better performance than the factory valve. I've personally used Forge DVs in my personal cars (Audi, Porsche, BMW) for years and have had a great experience with them.

Nick

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301146

Appreciate 0