04-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
On another thread, this interesting reply! Check the spec PDF too on the linked thread!
Great find! This is totally correct. The car will change it's temperature constantly. It's one of reasons that BMW decided to remove the temp gauge. It's really interesting how it all works. I looked at some live data from my car once. On the freeway the water pump is spinning at a low rpm and the t-stat is closed. Engine temp is around 112C. Adding a large amount of throttle will cause the pump rpm to increase and the t-stat to open. Downshifting a flooring the throttle actually causes the engine temp to reduce around 85C and the water pump to operate at max rpm.

As I got off the freeway and slowed down the temp decreased to 85C - 90C and is maintained there for city driving. Very interesting indeed.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0