View Single Post
      08-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #771
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Maybe, but at 160rwph, having owned an s2000 and an STI, Its just ZZZZZzzzz to me. I'm sure it's fun, but so is an elise, I just find the hype to be overblown. But I remember the same thing with the 1M, now it's crickets about the 1M.
The Elise doesn't work as a DD and the 1M is fabulous if your idea of FUN is going sideways - it's not hype, provided you have the necessary skills. The Toyobaru's ride quality is better than the 1M and you can actually carry luggage and 2 more passengers in. As for the handling... well, let's stick with the relevant point :

Quote:
Makes you feel so totally connected to the car. Confidence-inspiring, which makes the limits easy to explore. Just like the Miata, a great learner's tool and expert's toy." Speaking of experts, a certain Mr. Pobst picked the BRZ as his second car overall.
2012 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car - 4th Place: Subaru BRZ

Now all is revealed... Pobst hated the 1M because it's NOT a confidence-inspiring car. That's precisely what I was trying to explain in the 1M forum when I got banned because of that. It's also why he loves the 991 so much - the 911 has lost its edge. Unlike Pobst, I don't hate the 1M, I just love the challenge because I'm far from mastering it... and yes, Pobst is spot on about the 1M when he says 'The shifter is slick, and light. I really enjoy that. You gotta do it just with your fingertips. If you try to muscle it with a fist, you're gonna get the wrong gear.' When you go from the 1M to the Toyobaru you immediately feel that difference (much like the S2000... you have to muscle it with a fist ).

BMW 1 Series M Coupe: 2011 Best Driver's Car Contender

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 08-23-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0