View Single Post
      01-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #28
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
It's no coincidence that at the same time BMW introduced "free" maintenance, they began drastically extending the maintenance intervals recommended!

I keep my cars a long time -- intermediate oil changes are fairly cheap engine insurance. Plus you never know when the mechanic will spot something potentially expensive or hazardous during the service. The shop I use always does a once-over inspection no matter what the car is in for, even if just for an oil and filter change.

Over the years, they've found torn boots, leaking struts, worn shock mounts, tires worn on the inside where it's hard to spot, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
It's no coincidence that at the same time BMW introduced "free" maintenance, they began drastically extending the maintenance intervals recommended even in countries where maintenance was not included?!

I keep my cars a long time -- intermediate oil changes are a complete waste of money. Plus you never know when the mechanic will spot your fat wallet and recommend some unnecessary potentially expensive service. The shop I use always does a once-over inspection no matter what the car is in for, even if just for an oil and filter changeso that they make up services to increase their bottom line.

Over the years, they've found torn boots, leaking struts, worn shock mounts, tires worn on the inside where it's hard to spot, etc.I'm not sure how many of those were really true though.
Fixed it for you.
Appreciate 0