View Single Post
      08-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #26
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control
Rep
Drives: E90 + E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Patrys. It is always important to take precautions when you give someone control of your computer.

The fact is that some countries are known for hacking - Russia, Poland, the balkans, (basically any of the old "Soviet bloc" countries) Israel and France just to name a few are generally considered to be countries where the computer laws haven't caught up to the hacking skills - or the hacking is state sponsored.

I'd have no qualms buying from you (and may well once I get some issues sorted) but I'd only do it from a computer that had no personal information on it and would get wiped thereafter - regardless of where the seller is.

Not only that, but doing something like this on a clean computerdecreases the likelyhood that there will be some sort of port conflict. I can reimage the computer with a clean Win7 install in about a half hour - far less time than it takes to resolve a conflict.
Agreed 110%. You can never be too safe these days. I see the potential for a lot of things to go wrong with this.

First off, the screen goes black? You have no idea what Patrys is doing during this time. He could be looking through your files, maybe even installing a keylogger or something. Not to mention, NCS Expert shows your VIN does it not? I don't know what he can do with the VIN but yeah... What about FSC codes? I don't even know. I'm not very technical but be careful guys.

The clean laptop sounds like a good idea and then wipe it clean again afterward to be safe.
Appreciate 0