View Single Post
      05-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Interesting conversation at BMW this morning

I went into Sytner BMW to pick up tweeter mouldings for my car (wont name which one but for those who know Toys r Us just off J2 M5 will know which one hehe)

While i was there I thought I show the parts guy some pictures I took of my sump which I think the gasket is leaking. He looked at the pics and agreed most likely it was the gasket and priced me up a sump gasket @circa £20. I asked him how much roughly to fit and he said around (in his opinion but would have to ask SA for proper quote) £150 which I thought not to bad. I then mentioned I had BMW extended warranty and aksed if this would be covered by warranty. He asked the SA who did not really give a definitve answer, so then I asked him how much BMW would charge and wait for it......

£430(does not include the oil and filter which would be on top) just to change the gasket. the parts guy looked at me and I looked at him back as we were both were thinking f*** me and which I bursted out laughing. What really made me was the look on the SA face when he quoted that price in thinking that was a competative price

So anyway is this something a local garage could or requires special knowledge/tools? Am I right in thinking drain oil, inbolt sump, remove old gasket, clean, fit new gasket, fill up with oil ?
Appreciate 0