View Single Post
      02-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #62
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
I disagree with you there Harold. Yes the Dinan springs are soft in the back, but they did it that way because of the wheel/tire combo they had. They tuned the package with 265/275 tire width. I still believe that a 3500-lb car that has only 200hp needs more than 225 up front if it has 255s in the back. They only way you can get that setup to handle right is to make the rear super stiff which just throws away all that grip you have back there. Maybe in may car that's not really a huge issue, but in a 335 with street tires and no LSD that's gonna create some traction issues.

Dinan's setup without changing stagger I think exacerbates the understeer problem because now the front is stiffer with a huge sway bar on those same tires. Every time you turn the wheel you're asking a very small contact patch to way to much way too fast. I'm only talking from the experience I've had with my car. The one thing I did that made the biggest difference was the stagger. I bet if you just had a square setup on a stock ZSP car, it would be decent.
You don't need to make the rear super stiff. Read my post again.

Front camber wasn't addressed. Throw some camber on there and you will reduce the understeer without having to run a square setup.

Square setup allows rotation and longer tire life, but you are not really addressing the what is really cuasing the understeer.

In our testing, we found the larger front bar reduce understeer to a certain degree, but more static and dynamic camber is the key.
Appreciate 0