View Single Post
      08-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Sony Bravia

Just picked up a new Sony Bravia X-Reality LED 42" to replace my Panasonic Plasma, which I'm giving to my daughter.

At least that was the plan until I got the thing home and tried to set it up. What a pile of sh-t. First I couldn't find the manual. There isn't one. Then I ended up checking my power socket and fuse with a multi-meter because I couldn't get it to power up. Took my wife to log on to the internet to find the bleeding power switch hidden away in a dark recess on the rear. Then I tried to start it up.....got to step 3 where it needed a pin number but the remote with the numbers wouldn't work. Took my wife another 10 minutes with the internet to find out how to switch on the virtual keyboard via the 2nd "1 touch" remote. Get that done and it asks if I want to set up wireless, to which I stupidly answer yes, only to be faced with half a dozen questions about my router's security configurations that I couldn't answer...actually couldn't understand. But once you're in set-up there's no way back...it just keeps asking questions.

By this time I'm really trying hard to restrain myself from flinging the remote right through the screen. Finally, by answering no to everything I get to the point I can actually see a picture. Athletics from Moscow. Now I'm left figuring out if I even like the picture. Sure its high res. sure the colours are bright but I'm really not sure I like this in-yer-face presentation. Movies no longer look like movies, they look like film sets with lots of people wearing make-up. I'll see how it goes over the next few days but my first impression is that its crap and that I'll be keeping the old Plasma and giving away the Sony.
Appreciate 0