View Single Post
      06-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Talking Procede v4 Methanol AutoTuning

It's done! No more having to "figure out" what boost and ignition correction settings to run with methanol injection. This is especially useful given all the different combinations/configurations that people run (jet size, min/max psi settings, methanol/water ratio, type of methanol/ethanol, etc,.) So far, so great. I plan to release it either tomorrow or the day after.

Here's how it works:
In progressive methanol mode, autotuning only activates under certain conditions. One of those conditions being that meth flow must be above the meth flow % threshold you set in the user software (Injection mode/future use 1)

When meth is flowing above this threshold, the Procede's autotuning system is active. This means that the Procede automatically adjusts map2 UT and IC values as it sees fit (ie, until the tune reaches the desired aggression target). As always, you can set the upper learning limit for boost. In my case, I set it to 18psi for today's particular testing purposes. Typically for street use, I'd set it to 17psi since that is the most boost I'd run on pump+meth. FWIW, at the drag strip, running on 110oct race gas+meth, I'd set it to 20psi.

What's different about the Methanol AutoTune system (compared to standard AutoTuning) is that the Procede's autotuned UT and IC adjustments are only applied when meth is flowing (and, obviously, on top of Map2 UT and IC settings). If meth were to be disabled, the car would run on Map1 UT and IC settings and with no active autotuning.

In the datalogs below, I used Methanol Autotuning to "dial in" my idea map2/methanol map settings. I started off with BOTH my map1 (pump gas) AND map2 (meth map) set very conservatively (UT=13.5psi, IC=40%). Then I just did a bunch of 3rd gear pulls on the highway and let the Procede automatically adjust my Map2 settings until aggression target was reached. Note: It was unnecessary to start off with both map1 and map2 settings being the same.

Note: If I weren't demonstrating how this worked, I would have started with map2 set to be more aggressive and closer to what one would expect for a methanol map (UT=16-17psi, IC=0-20%). This would have reduced the amount of runs necessary to get to the final autotuned settings.

Notice that when methanol isn't flowing, the car runs the standard 13.5psi/40% IC through the entire log. But in the portions that when meth is flowing above the threshold, the UT and IC values ramp gradually to 17.6psi and 0% IC respectively. That's ~70whp/70lb-ft of torque gained through autotuning alone. No user input required
Appreciate 0