View Single Post
      12-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
jahwerx
Certified Purveyor of the High Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i (2/6)

Exterior:
11. Take the 8mm wrench and the large flathead screwdriver with you under the car. If you are using the ramps, there will not be enough room to use a creeper.
12. Remove the plastic shield by removing the 4 screws indicated in the picture with the 8mm socket.
13. It slides out easily. Here is a picture of it removed.
14. Ensure the car is cool, and get yourself right in the middle underneath. I grabbed the exhaust piping, and wedged myself in. Bend the heat shield out of the way to access the selector rod and shift lever. Its located right above the (monster) drive shaft.
15. You should now have a view that looks like this:
16. Sorry, for the fuzziness of this picture, but it is TIGHT up there. Using the same reference picture, ensure that the Circlip (circled in red) is aligned as you see it in my picture. If it’s rotated, simply reach up and twist it (using your hand) so the “open end” is facing down.
17. Using the screwdriver where the arrow is pointing, push the clip straight up. It should come off fairly easy. If it doesn’t pop off right away, you can “work it” off. Not that you’ll need to, but if you damage the clip, don’t worry, there is a new one in the SSK.
18. Note: Don’t bother trying to remove the shift lever from the selector rod under the car! Crawl back out, and back to the top…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0