View Single Post
      11-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #65
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I drove the car a bit on my normal backroads, just to see how things felt.

The difference is huge. While it is a bit stiffer, the ride is supremely better. The best thing I notice is that the car handles potholes and bumps much better. Potholes and bumps that I normally would swerve around the car now goes over without my feeling it in my back. The shudder that the car had after hitting bumps is gone, it just feels 100% better. I didn't go fast so I can't comment on the rear end bouncing, but it feels so much better, I'm feeling better about doing all of this.

There was however a weird noise, going very slow and straight, seemingly related to the brakes, and after a few minutes the brake light went on, so it's back to the shop in an hour or so.

They aligned it to be safe (toe and camber) but the thrust line is way off, so I'm getting a proper alignment immediately. If i can get the springs today I'll do that and then get the alignment, but I don't feel right driving a car that's crabbing.

Right now, the car sits about stock height, maybe a little higher in front, with the adjusters bottomed out, so 2" shorter springs with the adjusters raised 1" would drop me an inch, so I think 2" shorter is the ticket, but I'll know for sure after measuring today.

The GC camber plates are the hybrid ones, and seem to match the stock perches in stack height, maybe a tick shorter.

The Ohlins shocks feel amazing, I can't wait to get the car totally right and hit my favorite roads for a spirited drive.
Appreciate 0