View Single Post
      02-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesr3 View Post
I run my 535d exclusively on V-power diesel. Shell don't make any claims about it doing anything other than keeping your engine clean, but BP do make claims about their Ultimate diesel producing more power (up to 8% IIRC). I doubt that they could do this unless they had proven it in 'normal' cars, which they have if you read the blurb on their website.

On the butt dyno the V-power has better part-throttle response and is noticeably quieter at startup compared to regular Shell diesel extra. I think I get a bit better mpg too, but I've never measured it scientifically.

The extra few quid on a fill-up is insignificant to the purchase and running costs of these cars, so why not use the best fuel you can?

I would be very interested in seeing some dyno results of standard and remapped BMW diesels on regular and high cetane diesel as well.
I use BP Ultimate diesel, as it can be bought locally, and find similar results as you mention. I had to fill with the standard diesel last time, as the Ultimate was run out. Next cold start up and could feel the harshness through the car. Also the car just doesn't feel the same, not the mid range punch I'm used to when overtaking.

The FifthGear fuel test did show the premium diesel fuels improved bhp on an average diesel, so on the higher performance diesels we can expect better gains. Plus the cleaning properties should not be overlooked, if we intend keeping our cars long term.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0