01-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #340
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glim View Post
Yes, the fuel may be the cause, the process to remove sulpher from diesel fuel corrodes and destroys the HPFP seals, the same thing may be happening with the refinery process for north american gasoline.

Do they also have mass failures in Europe or anywhere outside of NA and Australia?
It's not so common over here in the UK, well not if you use decent fuel. High octane fuel here tends to be of very good quality but expensive, BP and Shell perhaps at the top but ESSO also provide a 99RON fuel (94/5 Octane) via a large supermarket chain. As our fuel here is so expensive, people, especially for daily drivers, will only use our standard 95RON fuel, this is known to be of varying quality and if a bad batch makes it out to the fuel stations is known to cause running issue on any car. I swear by the performance fuels due to the cleaning additives in them, various tests by UK magazines and tuners have revealed that after consistent use the fuel system and engine are considerably cleaner than when compared to low quality 95RON. I had HPFP failure BUT I suspect this to be down to the previous owner using crap fuel, she gets nothing but the 99 from me.
Appreciate 0