View Single Post
      08-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
For street driving, yes, you want to be a little higher than on the track. If you do lower your seat to the fist width and it's lower than you're accustomed to, it'll feel weird at first, but then you will like it after a while.

Your shoulder should not come off the seat back when checking for the shoulder - to - wrist length. Pull the steering wheel out.

Adjust the length for your legs first.
Then adjust the seat back - to - wrist length
Then adjust the height
Mirrors
Lumbar

Major importance when adjusting mirrors. They are SIDE VIEW mirrors, not another set of rear view mirrors. They should NOT be looking down the side of your car. This makes them useless. You should turn them out quite a bit. You should be able to loose sight of the vehicle behind you (as the pass on your driver side), once this happens, they should appear in your side view mirror. You should be able to see them until the nose is essentially right next to you (you'll see the very tail of the car in the mirror still, but the nose of the car will be visible with just a quick glance). In no way should you have to turn your head sideways to see the car next to you. When you turn your head, if the car in front of you suddenly slams on their brakes, you could be eating their bumper. Do you think racers turn their heads to see if a car is next to them going 150mph?
Try it. It's very odd at first and it does take some time to trust the mirrors, but it's much easier to move through traffic. Even my wife likes it now.

Another tip: set your interior dash lights as LOW as possible. The bright lights of the dash hurt your night vision. By dimming the dash lights, it allows your eyes to better focus in the dark.
Thanks,

I adjusted my seat today. And wow, what a difference! I have the height like 5mm from the bottom, this allows for fist+2fingers above head space. I can sit up straight now, after a few kilometers I'm finding it much more comfortable, natural, and best of all, I can really feel the car better now! I even managed to catch a slide before the DTC kicked in with a bit of countersteer. Also, I feel like I have better judgement of the size of the car.

Regarding the mirrors, it seems like it's a very controversial topic between having them "wide" or "closed". At the moment, I'm running them "closed", I can see the sides of the car - this seems to help me as a point of reference. But you're right regarding "When you turn your head, if the car in front of you suddenly slams on their brakes..." this happened to me once, and I almost crashed - for some reason, a truck driver decided to overtake me in the city, in narrowed lanes! I watched him for like a second, to make sure he will fit, and meanwhile, the car infront of me stopped - just as I turned my head back to see through the windshield, I noticed that the car infront was on its brakes and slammed mine to the floor - not a pleasant experience. So I think I may try "wide" mirrors.
Appreciate 0