View Single Post
      01-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
But I'm not concerned. However, I feel like I want to further substantiate my stance with evidence. We all know of the 100,000 mile E85 non-flex fuel SUV that was driven around about 10 years ago that experienced no problems at all. Beyond that, I do not know many real world examples.

I only know of two or three disadvantages, and they are all something that can be mitigated with regular maintenance or good part choices.

1: Stresses out the fuel pump, wears it down faster, solved with a third fuel pump or a beefed up LPFP.

2: Cold start problems, use less during winter.

3: Corrosion issues due to condensation, which I hear can be solved by not letting the car sit around chronically.

But, I keep hearing fanciful news reports about how E85 will blow up your engine and destroy your fuel lines and gaskets, which baffles me.
To address a couple of points, most of the problems are found in older cars. Either due to high levels of wear- the car is already on the verge of breaking down and adding E85 simply tips it over the edge. Or the car is old enough to not have fuel system components that are resistant to ethanol.

Getting water in the tank is a minor, rare case. All modern cars have sealed fuel tanks that are vented back to the intake through a computer controlled valve actuated by a 'purge solenoid'. If E85 is left exposed to open air it is noticeably degraded after 6 months. If you need to store it, use a sealed container that is approved for E85.

Wikipedia always has good info;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol..._United_States
Appreciate 0