View Single Post
      04-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #59
KH0
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeandtheland View Post
The write up helped me quite a lot. Thanks!

I installed it this afternoon and noticed a few things:

1. the pdf file is crap (homelink-retrofit-pdf-february-25-2008-8-22-pm-1-3-meg.pdf), confusing and misleading. The only benefit from that pdf is the wiring to the overhead console (the colors to match the pins) on page 12; even that, the pdf doesn't even tell you which connector to pull out. Page 11 is disaster. I will truly admire whoever made it by following that page!

2. The original post didn't metion the details of wiring the mirror end so I found this picture online and posted here. Aso, that is the main reason page 11 of that pdf became a major disaster.
I hope this will help. To clarify, for many of us that got confused, what you need to do is, leave the original wires in the original black connector (Red/Violet, Gray/Black, and Brown/Black); then you put in the new wires from the retrofit (Gray/Violet, Green/White, Black/Brown, Brown/White).
You don't need to use the solid brown ground wire - I cut it off.

3. To open the overhead console, I didn't use any tools; instead I followed tips from one of the posts and used my hand to reach for the metal clips from the winshield border. It worked very well and it took me 10 secs to open it up! You do need some powerful middle or index fingers (which ever is the longest on your hand!) though...

4. It took some fight to put the mirror back in the metal bolt on the winshield. You just need to be patient until you find that snuggy spot and turn to tighten it up.

5. The compass did not work right away. I think it may need some time or I will have to do some calibration later.

6. To test the autodim, simply turn on the headlights, and turn on the cabin light. You will notice the mirror goes tint instantly.

(I don't remember where I got this wiring pic... some guy posted it)
Your Post Really Helped Thank You

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...85#post8284685
Appreciate 0