Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross328i View Post
Let's be real here. These tunes, no matter which one, are not going to make a world of difference on a dyno. I think I speak for the majority of people who just get them to fix the throttle delay problem. Coming from a modified turbo car, I knew not to expect a huge jump in power like I did from a turbo-back 3" exhaust, increased boost, etc. Very generally speaking you're adding 10hp with every 1psi increase of boost on a turbo car. My Celica All-Trac ran 8 psi stock (200hp) and I had it increased to 14-16 psi. Just doesn't work that way on a N/A engine. If a tune does add a little power, however noticeable it is, that's just icing on the top. All I know is my car (PBX) drives 10 times better than it did before which is exactly what I wanted.
I've seen too many people swear by the AA tune who are very ecstatic about its minimal gains, and I affirmatively use the word "minimal" given my first hand experience. Those reviews have said such things as "pushed me back in my seat" and "smile I can't get off my face," and the like. If there's any expression on my face, it's of confusion as I'm trying to figure out what it has actually done for my car.

Fixing the throttle response is surely an upside to this tune, and the extra pep from the few added hp/tq is what you'd call "icing on the top." I do feel more pickup in second and third gears, especially when I'm accelerating with more confidence in third when I used to feel the need to downshift into second.

I'm not against the bandwagon, but I won't say that this tune brought my car to new levels never known before. I'm not regretful of having dished out $450 + time + stress (AA, you guys are a reputable company, which is what helped my decision to choose you for the tune, but the least you could do for us is provide better/clearer instructions to support the vehicles you offer products for), but I'm not saying I couldn't have lived without it, either.
Appreciate 0