View Single Post
      04-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLev View Post
This opticoat, from what I am reading, is supposed to be a permanent product? Would it change the finish of the car or make it easier to maintain/get swirl marks out of/etc?

I'm also interested in this subject as my car is going to be parked outside of work around peak hours of the day in the hot Florida sun.

As for the interior, I wouldn't be too worried about the plastics and dash wearing down, my old E39 528i with 200k miles and a great interior being an example. I'm definitely not a professional, but from seeing older cars that were subjected to lots of sun, you're gonna wanna keep the seats and leather conditioned and protected, and you're also going to want to find a way to protect the wood trim (if you have it) from fading.
Once the coating is properly applied (surface must be thoroughly clean) and cured, it will not come off under normal circumstances (much like your paint) unless you purposefully remove it through chemically or mechanically means. This layer is harder to scratch (scratch resistance not scratch proof) but it could be scratch. It's main goal is to protect the paint beneath.

Opti-coat is not very slick in comparison to a traditional wax or sealant and water spots is still could be a concern. Many would apply a sealant like CarPro Reload over the coating to give it a bit more slickness as well as keeping the surface hydrophobic.

The coating will make cleaning much easier since it does a better job of releasing dirt but remember this.... it is still a protective layer not a "FORCE FIELD" and all proper maintenance procedures should still be follow.

There are many other coatings out there (Cquartz, Gtechnig, 22ple) and they all have there pluses and minuses. They all will protect your car better than a traditional wax or sealant.

Good Luck.