06-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #25
hsleiman
First Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 11 e90 335xi PPK 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Not true, how does it know when to drop-down safely? Its not like it knows your in a tight turn and shifting down will upset the balance. The kickdown wouldn't be a big deal if you could disable it....for god's sake: when your in manumatic mode why the does it kick down..that makes no sense. With the gobs of torque, shifting down doesn't always make things quicker.
I think he meant if the engine still has some room to downshift without going over redline it will if you kickdown. If you're already in a low gear at high rpm and try to kickdown it won't downshift because that will over rev the engine.

I don't understand what the big deal is? Don't hammer your foot down and it won't kickdown. Just put enough pressure down to not trip the kickdown you still get 100% WOT without a downshift. I think kickdown was put there for safety reasons. If you have some noob driving in manumatic in too high of a gear and suddenly realizes he needs to accelerate quickly, kickdown will put him in the right gear.
Appreciate 0