View Single Post
      11-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
I can't agree with ANYTHING you are doing with your oil change intervals. First of all, NONE of my previous Audis ar BMW(or cars of other makes ) used ANY oil at all. I attribute that to my break in procedure that does not follow the manufacturer's recommendation(Motoman's technique).

Secondly, there is not an oil made anywhere in this universe that should be kept in the car longer than the first 5000 miles. That factory oil is full of metal particles not filtered by the oil filter and has fuel dilution due to the pistons not seating TOTALLY from the factory.

You may have a heck of a motor in spite of the abuse you have given it. Topping off with a qt of fresh oil does not rejuvenate the entire volume of oil in the crankcase. If you had sent your oil out for analysis (as some have) you might be very surprised to see a report showing excessive wear. BTW, initial wear is OK. You need that wear to get the rings to seat COMPLETELY. After that, wear is BAD. If you have left your oil in as you say, your engine is wearing faster than it should. Not to mention sludge build up. It your car, abuse it if you want. But you are only fooling yourself.
Your flat simply wrong. I'm really not interested in your opinion. I didn't start this thread to have a discussion on oil sevice intervals. I had a 1989 325i, owned since new, that went (as is still going) over 257,000 miles following BMWs recommended oil change interval (approx 12,000 miles). My neighbor bought the car for his kid in May '06 and it is still running strong. I was in the motor every 15,000 miles to do valve adjustments, and the engine was very clean with no sludge anywhere.

The oilfitler housing on my E90 is as clean as new. There is no sludge in my engine, nor will there be. My wife drives a Z3 where I also follow the recommended oil service intervals, that engine is also sludge free after 120,000 miles. So, I don't have an opinion on the oil issue, I have facts.

If you have ever changed the oil in a diesel engine you would freak out. The oil that comes out of a diesel engine will stain your skin black.
Appreciate 0