View Single Post
      02-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclee820 View Post
So earlier this week, I purchased a CPO vehicle from a dealership that is over an hour away from me. The vehicle is also still covered under the factory BMW warranty. I noticed that the headlights were aimed far too low, so I took it to my local dealership to have a look. They informed me that the ball joints for auto-leveling of the headlights have popped out of their sockets in both headlights, and that both headlights will have to be replaced. They said that they couldn't cover this under warranty because they've seen problems like this in the past where it's caused by hitting a large pothole or other depression in the road. I asked if there was evidence that that a pothole was hit, and they said no. They said that there's usually a bent rim, or a bubble in the tire to indicate such an incident, but that I had none of these. They're reasoning was that the other dealership could have fixed the rim and tire before selling the vehicle. They provided no proof that I or anyone else for that matter caused this issue, and they could not say with absolute certainty that this was not a product defect in material or workmanship.

My question is this: Can they deny my warranty coverage of the headlights without proof of causation?

It seems that they're logic of "it could have been a pothole so we're not covering it" could be applied to just about anything. Without the burden of proof falling on the dealership, they could essentially decline every warranty repair request with crap like "it could have been a pothole". Am I wrong?

Note: The dealership that sold me this vehicle has already replaced both headlights. I'm just seeking the opinion of others, because I feel strongly that I should escalate the questionable actions of my local BMW dealership.
this happened to me with my left headlight and i got the runaround for a long time too brought the car back while they fiddled without fixing it 3 times. first they were trying to say nothing wrong, and then i drove it over to a wall and showed them it wasnt leveling, then they tried to ask if i had any accident which was no. finally they took it in. they leveled it with the other but it didnt go up and down. they actually said thats how it is supposed to be. btw f perillo bmw chicago. at which point i looked at my retarded service lady like a retarded special needs person. called a few people over and asked is this normal for one light to cycle at start up but not the other, her and the tech she called overs explanation was its normal because its already in the position it needs to be., at which said no. finally they took it back in and replaced the headlight. third time i went in to say f u.
Appreciate 0