F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjur View Post
Martin mate,

Mine does have a feedback sensor etc as well as all the gubbins in the pic you posted. But none of that needs cleaned, just the EGR valve.

Not sure i have ever seen a diesel with a butterfly valve to be honest.....

J4MES,

That is excatly my reckoning. ED cars aside, there are 163 E90's chrning out figures that i could only dream of having......never mind the fact that older cars with older tech engines wipe us out economy wise.

JJ

JJ
I tried disconnecting my EGR vaccuum hose (with the feedback sensor) and it does take some time to generate a fault code. After that I reconnected it and the fault disappeared. I don't know what the problem on your car is, but the point i tried to make is not about a sticking EGR valve. I was thinking if something causes the EGR valve to be open more often then normal. If you have the feedback sensor , then I assume you also have another part as well which modulates the valve position (rather than just open/closed). On mine it's whithin inches of the valve. If your EGR valve is clean now, and moves "freely", pull the hose of which should ensure the thing stays closed (remember to block off the hose though). If that doesn't resolve the economy, then the problem is elsewhere. If your dealer found out what you did just be honest about it. EGR is good for the environment, but if someone wants to claim disabling it hurts the engine they are on very weak grounds..

Re throttle valves on diesels that's what i thought too... But this thing is under the hood on mine, at the end of the intercooler piping to engine. It's an about 3" dia valve. Those torx bolts were not easy to get out..

If you want to know more about EGR do a search on "Pierburg" and "pdf", and you should find the PDF from which this was taken

Martin
Attached Images

Appreciate 0